Monday, February 16, 2004

I guess the answer was 'To whistler' ...

So I drove up to Vancouver Friday night. Waking up at 6:30am is never something I enjoy, but somehow when it's to drive to North America's premiere ski destination it doesn't feel so bad.

Cheryl and I hit the lifts at around 9am Saturday morning and met up with Jen and Glade at around 11. For those of you who don't know Jen and Glade, they're Vancouverites who tele-ski and quite well I might add. The last weekend we went to Whistler we skiied with them and did the double-black diamond tour of Blackcomb hitting at least 10 of the marked double-blacks. This Saturday we mainly did cruiser runs including a series of peak-to-base runs on both mountains. Turns out if you start at the top of the Blackcomb glacier and race to the bottom you can get down in about 10mins. Same thing from the Whistler peak to the Longhorn bar. You really have to watch out for ski schools and slow folks near the base though (and pretend you can't hear people yelling at you to slow down).

It snowed a good 4 inches overnight so we decided to head up for a second day of skiing. We hit Whistler for some decent snow. Although the visibility sucked in the morning it did clear up in the afternoon, and hitting the Whistler backcountry was something that really made my weekend. We hiked around the Flute/Oboe/Piccolo area and found some decent turns. Although I lost both my driver's license and visa the day netted out to be a success.

Couple of interesting things I found out this weekend... Apparently you can buy a backcountry pass at whistler for around $25... Not sure though, because I can't find the info on Whistler's site (probably by design). Also, Glade may be able to get me a deal on a mountain bike which would be cool. One last thing... Hamburger helper does in fact come with the pasta, and don't be fooled, it may look like it's not enough, but I challenge you to eat it all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home