Thursday, July 29, 2004

Crankworx in Whistler, and Squamish XC

Headed up towards Whistler for another weekend of ridiculous riding.

Friday night I had a chance to say hi to Amy, RJ, Lindsay and Ryan before they went for a relatively early night to hit an even earlier plane ride.

Saturday I headed up to Squamish to hit some of the best cross country riding on this continent.  I stopped in the Corsa shop where they mentioned that there was a race on in the trails nearby.  They pointed me towards some trails where I wouldn't interfere with it.  As it turns out they were wrong.  Upon driving in half a mile I found a guy ready to direct race traffic...  To make a long story short, I was in second place for a good half mile as I raced out of the course behind the leader.  It was nice of everyone on the way out to take my picture and direct me in the right direction. 

Since that didn't work out too well I decided to head all the way to Whistler for some more XC action by hitting Thrill Me Kill Me.

I met up with Glade, Jen and Cheryl to watch the slopestyle event of the Crankworx festival.  Those guys are nuts.  inevitably someone was pulled off in a stretcher (after falling over 20 feet without his bike at ridiculous speeds onto solid ground).  Check out this video which has that wipe out right as the last jump.  Timo hit the ground so hard I swear I felt it from the Longhorn bar.  Just in case that link doesn't work...  I've heard that he broke his shoulder and leg...

Anyhow, I went to bed early, and woke up early enough to go rent a bike and head out for lift opening.  I broke the front fork on my first run, traded the bike in, broke the shifters on the second run, and brought that bike in, then had no other complications other than a pretty hairy wipeout going towards the chicpea lodge.  Here are some photos I took...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home