Monday, April 23, 2007

Inspiration at the back of the pack

A couple of weeks ago I watched the Vancouver Sun Run. I've seen a lot of races, but I never stick around to watch the final "stragglers" come through. I now think that's a mistake. In fact, I think you can get more inspiration from the people at the end of the race than the people crossing the finish line first...

Here's why...

Pardon me while I generalize for a minute... In a race of over 54,000 people (as in this one) the first 5,400 (top 10%) are generally fit, in tact, relatively young, and driven people. Most are near the peak of their conditioning...  Their daily routine is likely comprised of running, biking, swimming, going to the gym, or some combination of those, and their food intake is likely comprised of vegetables, chicken, vitamins, non-fat dairy products, and perhaps tuna (or name your fish). They are fine tuned machines - all 5,400 of them.

Don't get me wrong, this is very commendable...

But it's also boring. The difference between a good and a bad day for most of these 5,400 people is a matter of seconds, maybe minutes if something goes horribly wrong. They have their target heart rate, their target finish time, their trainer and teams cheering them on, and at no point are they really in jeopardy of finishing the race.

At the end of the pack however, you will find a completely different scene. Here you will find people who are 80 or 90+ years old, some do not have full use of their limbs, some are carrying other people, pushing wheelchairs, barely able to walk, using canes, or other aids etc... Some probably had a harder time getting to the starting line than others had finishing the race. Just the fact that these folks came out while I lazily slept in was an inspiration. For some I could feel the pain in every step, and I'm sure many did not finish the race: The difference between a good day and a bad day is a lot more than a few minutes for them.

That said, they are out there, they broke from their daily routine to have fun, get some exercise, challenge themselves, and try their best to do what they can to cross that line, with a smile. They're getting out in front of a crowd that could just as easily ridicule them as cheer for them, but they definitely deserve those cheers.

They really made me want to jump into the run right then and there. When I'm out hiking, biking, or running they will be a part of my inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home