Thursday, September 30, 2004

The DMV... A good experience???

So, I have to say something... I had a suprisingly good experience at the DMV.

This week I had to renew the tabs for my car. Which always puts me in a bad mood because of the extra $190 I have to spend on the most stupid seattle project ever. So I go into the DMV in Redmond and instead of the usual 30 minute wait I was able to go directly to the desk. Then they told me... You owe $297. I start to pull out my credit card and they say "Sorry, we only take cash or check".... Well, I don't usually have $300 in cach on me, and I don't remember the last time I wrote a check, so I ask if there's a bank machine I can hit. They point to a machine right behind me which indicates they've seen this problem before.

I tried to take $300 out of the machine, and was charged a $2 for the transaction just before realizing that the machine has a cap of $200... So I had no choice, I took out the $200. Then I realized I had a couple of $20s, a $10 and a 5 in my pocket... I counted... $295 total, meaning I would have had the $297 if it wasn't for the $2 charge from the machine. I thought it was pretty funny that I had to go pay another $2 to the machine to get the $2 I was missing because it wouldn't give me enough money with one shot for some ridiculous reason.

So I really didn't want to go spend another $2 (on principle) in the machine and went back to the desk. I asked them if they would take my canadian change instead of a US $2 because I didn't want to go back to the bank machine. As I was talking someone gave a $20 to the teller at the desk. It was the manager, and they said that I can use the $20 to help get to the full $297. By the time I realized the money was for me the manager had left, and I couldn't even thank them.

Anyhow, I was in a really bad mood, but that small act of not making me go back to the bank machine really made my day somehow. It's funny, but that's how it goes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't you pay by mail? Or did they not mail you anything? Those bastards.

3:22 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Actually they did mail me something. I dragged my feet on paying it so I could spend more time complaining about the monorail charge. In doing so I lost the mail in the sea of paper around my apartment. It was likely thrown out with the garbage.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home