Monday, November 06, 2006

Vancouver wine and good food

This past weekend I went up to Vancouver again.  The forecast was for rain and more rain, so I didn't even bring my bike.  It was still a great weekend :)

I left work a bit early Friday so I could make it to The Undercover wine tasting event at the Vancouver Rowing Club in Stanley Park.  This charity event was organized for the Shooting Stars Foundation, and it was a combination of 100 locally available wines under $14.99 which were covered to keep the blind taste test real.  I of course did not manage to taste all 100, but I did taste 33 of them, and found a few that I really did like.  The taste scale went from a 1-20, my top rated wine was a 17, my lowest was a -2.  I'd definitely go to this event again.

Saturday Cheryl and I went swimming at the Vancouver Aquatic Center.  I forgot how fun diving is, and although I only had time to get a few dives in I had a great time.  Later on we watched Borat...  It's certainly not a movie for everyone, but I'd watch it again.  Maybe even buy the DVD :)

Anyhow, Sunday we went over to the north shore to visit our good friends.  Unfortunately we learned their bike was recently stolen.  It was an worth somewhere between $3000-5000 depending on the components they had on it at the time.   The thief took a bolt cutter to the lock on their shed, and then managed to take the bike apart which was itself locked to a reinforced steel chain.  They had other bikes in the shed, but they were locked through the main part of the frame, so although they were able to steal the one bike the rest of them were in tact.  Luckily they had insurance on it.  Problem is that now they need to buy an alarm system, and reinforce the shed some more.

Sunday night Andrea cooked Cheryl and I a sweet pork roast...  Mmm...  Then I headed back to Seattle in the pouring rain.  Enough water collected on the road to cause my car to hydroplane a lot.  The ride wasn't really that fun, but I made good time.

Anyhow, here's hoping the snow comes fast, so we can minimize this shoulder season and get the ski season started.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey hey again. I'm currently studying for a biology midterm i have tomorrow. Who studies in first year? :) For some reason biology that i destroyed in high school just seems to escape me now, 4 or 5 years later.

Those pumpkins posted earlier are pretty sweet. You've all got some art skills. Have you considered a more lucrative career as a freelance artist? haha.

33 wine tastings? Was it by any chance the later ones that got the highest ratings?

Stay strong through this "shoulder season."

-nathan

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Also... you might enjoy this. I found it to be hilarious, especially the tomato soup part:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/11/07/food.for.thought.ap/index.html

8:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:17 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Well, I know that I studied in first year. From what I recall our first year calculus was not anywhere near as fun as I remembered OAC calc being...

I think I'd starve to death if I had to rely on my art skills to survive :)

Now that you mention it the rating I gave the last wine I tasted was a "?", so I do think the ratings I gave to the last few might not have been too accurate.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home